How to buy/update/reinstall Android apps in China?

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Chinese Camera

How to buy/update/reinstall Android apps in China?

Postby hanping » 02 Mar 2012, 01:54

(UPDATED 2014/06)

These instructions cover Buying, Updating and Reinstalling Android apps from within China. In-app purchases are covered in the Buying section.

If you are not in China, please read this.

In short, if you are in China then you will need to use a VPN (there are many such free apps for Android) to do just about anything with the Google Play Store. The past advice of swapping your SIM card, is no longer relevant.

Preliminary Notes:
  • if you have only recently arrived in China, you may still be able to make purchases (possibly Google Play's servers have not yet been updated with your location), so try making the purchase anyway
  • for a free VPN try VPN One Click or for a more robust paid one try StrongVPN (which has a free trial)
  • if you do not have Google's Play Store app installed on your device, then you can obtain our Hanping apps from Amazon. If you are in China, you will still need to use a VPN
  • if you have a rooted device, then you should be able to avoid needing a VPN by using Market Helper. Alternatively, read this
  • if Google Play Store is not behaving as it should do, check out this topic: Google Play Store Issues & Solutions and also the Official page of Known Issues or contact Google Play Support

Buying (UPDATED 2014/06 - SIM swap no longer recommended)

1. Start your VPN
  2. Clear Data on Play Store app - in App Launcher, long press on Play Store app and drag it to App Info. There you can Clear Data
  3. Run Play Store app to accept Terms & Conditions. Wait a few seconds for the Play Store app to fully load after this
  4. Now you should be able to buy apps and make in-app purchases
Note: If you have already made an in-app purchase and Hanping Pro mistakenly thinks that you haven't, then repeat the above steps before using the Refresh button in the top-right of Hanping's Add-ons screen.

Buying (from Amazon)

Currently (March 2014), Amazon Appstore uses your IP address to determine app availability. If it thinks you are in a country not supporting paid apps (e.g. China) then you won't be officially able to purchase the app. However, if you can use a VPN to a country where paid apps are supported, then the purchase should work fine. Here are the relevant Amazon links for each country:

US, BR, CA, DE, ES, FR, IT, JP, UK

Updating

From Hanping Chinese Dictionary Add-ons screen > Apps tab > click on the app. From here you should be able to view the app in the Play Store app.

Another way is to view our blog from your Android device and then click on the appropriate Google Play link on the right.

When viewing the app in the Play Store app, if there is an update available, then the install button will be labelled "Update".

Reinstalling

Taken from here:

Using your mobile device:
  • Open the Google Play Store Google Play Store app
  • Touch the Google Play Store Play Store icon and select My Apps.
  • Visit the All category.
  • Select an app you’d like to install, then touch the Install button on the app’s detail page.
Using your computer:
  • Visit your My Apps page on Google Play.
  • Select an app to view its detail page.
  • Click the button that says Install or Installed and select the device where you’d like to install the app.
    Note: When an app shows an "Installed" button on its detail page, it means that the app is installed on one of the devices associated with your Google Account.
  • Click Install.
hanping
Site Admin

Re: How to buy/update/reinstall Pro version? in China/Taiwan

Postby hongsenlin » 05 Jul 2012, 02:11

hello, i have managed to install hanping pro on a new device in china,
even with a chinese sim! but i do not manage to install
the abc dicts, i have tried everything - including the combo
wlan/european sim. the application will say:unable to fetch billing data
then something like try to clear data from play app but i do not
find this option, and furthermore i do not find it in the play shop
anyway. what to do? kind regards hakon
hongsenlin

Re: How to buy/update/reinstall Pro version? in China/Taiwan

Postby hanping » 05 Jul 2012, 03:04

Hi Hakon - please try the steps mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89

Does this work for you? If not, please send me a message and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Thanks very much for your help Hakon. I have updated the post to give your solution (which does not require a sim swap!) to the "Unable to fetch billing details" problem.
hanping
Site Admin

Re: How to buy/update/reinstall paid app? in China/Taiwan?

Postby coloraday » 23 Sep 2012, 20:20

Hello,

Thank you for the great app!

I bought the paid version from Amazon's Appstore for Android. After the installation, every time I tried to open the app, I'd get the option menu "Complete action using" to select either my Internet browser or Amazon's Appstore, both of which would lead to the app's screen on Amazon.

I previously had the cracked version of the app installed on my phone using Lucky Patcher; when I decided to buy the app (regardless of the hassle I had to go through to do so from where I live), I uninstalled the cracked app (but not Lucky Patcher) so as to install the new one.

What could be the problem? What should I do, please?
Last edited by coloraday on 27 Sep 2012, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
coloraday

Postby hanping » 25 Sep 2012, 05:09

Hi and thanks for your message. I sent you an email yesterday, did you receive it?
hanping
Site Admin

Postby coloraday » 25 Sep 2012, 10:14

embermitre wrote:Hi and thanks for your message. I sent you an email yesterday, did you receive it?

Hi. No, I didn't receive your email.
coloraday

Postby hanping » 25 Sep 2012, 10:27

Please can you send me the logs using:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... gcat&hl=en

or

https://github.com/nolanlawson/Catlog/downloads

Please also make sure you have no other Hanping apps installed.
hanping
Site Admin

Postby coloraday » 25 Sep 2012, 13:49

embermitre wrote:Please can you send me the logs using:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... gcat&hl=en

or

https://github.com/nolanlawson/Catlog/downloads

Please also make sure you have no other Hanping apps installed.

Done! :)
coloraday

Postby hanping » 27 Sep 2012, 04:53

Thanks!
hanping
Site Admin

Postby pfffill » 27 Sep 2012, 10:46

@embermitre
I posted the exact same problem as coloraday on another thread (see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75&p=565#p565). Would appreciate help.
pfffill

Next

Return to Hanping Chinese