3.8.1 & 3.8.2 are minor bugfix updates on 3.8.0.
This update covers:
- Several secondary screens updated with new UI and better UX. UI now honours night mode setting
- About screen - Social networks section (Facebook, Twitter, Google+), Legal notices section, removed “Touch to refresh purchase info” (now in Add-ons screen)
- Settings screen - separated Chinese display settings into second screen. This allows first Settings screen to show a convenient summary of your Chinese settings in one sample text
- Add-ons screen - this is a new screen showing which dictionaries and apps you currently have installed. Clicking the refresh button will check the Google Play server for your in-app purchases. It will also refresh the information on the screen in case you have just installed a dictionary or app etc
- Backup / Restore screen - see below for more details
- Storage - Completely reorganised the way Hanping stores data (dictionary data and user data) on your device. For your privacy, your user data (e.g. starred words, search history and settings) is stored in internal storage so that it cannot be read/stolen/sabotaged by other apps. By default, app data (such as dictionary data, character data etc) is now stored in internal storage. However, if your device is low on internal storage space (common on older devices) then it will be stored in ’external’ storage. There is now a new location for things like downloads, fonts
/Android/data/com.embermitre.hanping.app.pro/cache. Another advantage of these changes is that Hanping will now work on old devices with empty SD card slot
- Backup / Restore - You user data (starred words, search history and settings) is now automatically backed up to the
folder (UPDATE: user now specifies backup folder within the app settings). This means that you can Clear Data without risk losing your starred words etc. You can (and maybe should!) check the status of your backups in the new Backup/Restore screen. The ‘User Data’ refers to the current state of your starred words etc. The ‘Local Backup’ refers to the latest backup in /Android/data/com.embermitre.hanping/backups. In future, we hope to add a ‘Remote Backup’ section but sadly there is no robust technical solution available to do this yet. In the meantime, you can ‘Export backup’ to keep your user data in a safe place (e.g. Dropbox or your email account). Restoring user data is now also improved. You can either ‘Import backup’ or simply ‘Share’ an old backup from another app (e.g. dropbox or email attachment)
- Radicals - after clicking on a radical, the next screen now shows the characters in the custom font (if you are using one)
- Audio files - these are now bundled within the app, so no need for the one-time download. Also they should play a little faster than before
- Hanping Chinese! - We have a new website address as well as new Twitter, Facebook and Google+ pages
Available from the Google Play Store.